Monday, February 6, 2012

Child Abuse Survivor: The way I experience it

I was re-reading my blog and realized I used a term to describe myself that I have never used before.. "child abuse survivor." I don't know if it was just the rage of my emotion coming out and thinking about the way her addiction has affected me but I have never identified as a survivor of child abuse before. I didn't even know I would be considered a child abuse survivor until last fall.

I took a child welfare class last semester (Fall 2011) and it made me really curious to know more about my child welfare case. Ever since I can remember DHS had been involved with my family starting when my mother was shot until after I began living with my dad. I always thought their involvement only had to do with my mother's addiction. I decided to go through all the papers my dad had kept about my case. I wanted to know more about my childhood that I didn't remember. I had questions that only my mom would know the answer to but I couldn't ask her. I thought my case file would be able to answer some of them for me.

I dug out the two huge folders packed with papers from DHS. In no way was I prepared for what I was about to learn. My mom had multiple cases of child abuse against her, mainly for denial of critical care which can include numerous things like inadequate supervision. 

I never remember going hungry. I never remember not being watched after by somebody, whether it was my mom, my grandma, an aunt or a neighbor, someone was always there. But here it was in my case files that there were times my mom didn't provide critical care. There was a specific story of my mom sleeping on the couch really sick (likely coming down from a binge) and my social worker came over and my brother and I told her we were hungry because my mom didn't make food for us that day. There was another time my social worker came over and my mom had no idea where my brother was. They had to go looking for him and eventually found him at a friend's house. 

What struck me the hardest about my case was the stories of the times my mom didn't show up for our visit while I was in foster care or the times my mom refused to go to treatment even though it was a requirement before she could get us back. 

I never knew any of this. I didn't remember any of it. To read this on paper broke my heart. It made me feel like my mother didn't love me the way I thought she did. The way my memory told me she loved me. She was a worse mother than I thought. After just reading papers I went from remembering my mother as loving, caring and always providing me with what I needed to trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I was a victim of child abuse. 

I was struggling so much with this that I reached out to one of my professors in the School of Social Work. She said something so powerful that has stuck. She said, from what I know of you and your past, I have never known you to identify as a child abuse survivor because that's not how you experienced it. It's up to you how you want to identify and while some people would call you a survivor, you don't have to have that identify if you don't want to.

I share this story because it is so important for people to realize that no matter how bad of parents people think drug addicts are, children are going to love and care for their parents no matter what. I may have went hungry at times or not always been watched after the best but that's not what I remember. What I do remember is coming home from school crying after being bullied and my mom telling me over and over how beautiful I am inside and out. I remember my mom teaching me how important education is. I remember my mom calling me almost everyday just to tell me how proud she is of me and that she loves me.

Do I identify as a survivor of child abuse? No
Do I realize the ways my mom wasn't a good parent? Yes. 

But all the good she did for me, all the love she gave me and all the lessons she taught me have always spoke louder. There's a reason my mind doesn't recall neglect I experienced and that's because my mom showed me love way more than she neglected me. 

Some kids may not have been as lucky as I was to have a mom who showed so much love. Some kids may remember the amounts of neglect they experienced. But I think one thing holds true for all kids of addicts and it's that - no matter how bad the addiction their parent has and the ways it has hurt them, they love their mom/dad and will always have a part of them that will never let go of that faith that some day, things will be different, and their mom/dad will sober up. 

6 comments:

  1. Omg, this is heartbreaking but true, kids love is unconditional no matter how hurt them usually, most kids even if its physical,.i do know one thing and that is as a mother who hasnt made the best choices in the past ive not ever neglected my kids or anything but I did leave them for 6 weeks and they still would have.if asked said that I loved them and they loved me. My a addiction was nothinglike ur mothers not even close but this blog hits soooo.close to home b/c it shows me how bad things could have been with me and with my own mother who is an alcholic... Keep writing I love reading it even tho it makes me tear up and it makes me feel awful for what little bit I did.put my kids thru, I dont doubt one bit ur mom loved u!!! I was an adfict and I love my kids to death they r my everything. Great blog, im sry your mom lost the battle with drugs. They are so so powerful. I really think u need to turn this into a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might add, I left for treatment not just like walked out or anything, and my kids were with their dad so I was very lucky. I met alot of moms like ur mom tho, who lost their kids numerous times... I am thankful ii was never addicted ti meth, that drug and all the hard drugs are AWFUL!! I thought my addictoion to pain pills was bad until I met meth, cocaine,heroin users. Not even close to same

      Delete
    2. I had no idea you had an addiction to pain pills Nicky! Thanks for sharing that with, I'm glad other people know what I'm talking about and I just don't sound nonsense! But I am soo happy to hear that you're in a better place now and things didn't get as bad as they could have. Addiction to anything can swallow you up so easily. It's not easy to overcome. But you should be proud of yourself, I know your kids will be when they're old enough to understand!

      Delete
  2. Yeah I had a horrible addiction caused by surgery after surgery over the last 5 yrs ive had six surgeres and the doctors never took me off the pills the whole time and they screwed my ankle up BIG TIME and I was only 17 had no clue u could get addicted nobody ever told me. Then five yrs later they realize o shit shes addicted... Assholes! Oh well im alot better now although I may have to have surgery and am scared to death I recently broke my ankle. I have one.yr march 7 and am proud and excited I did things last yr that im not proud of, I will inbox u on facebook. I went to jail and then to treatment. Thats whst I neded tho. They were impossible to get off of and withdrawl with 3 little kids to care for. So, I have had a hell of a time. Never ever actually done street drugs but met ALOT of ppl thay had and its sad. Im very thankful I got the help I needed when I read ur stuff it hits so close to home, im sry bout your mom keep on writing darling its amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alisha, another well written and thought out blog. Thanks for sharing. I know from the other side of the coin, as a foster parent, I make sure the children know that I don't think their parents are bad. They may make bad choices but are not bad and I emphasize that I know that their parents love them.

    It is hard to see the broken hearts of children when you tell them that their parent is coming to see them and the parent fails to make the appointment. I have learned to keep it a surprise so that when it doesn't happen, the child or children don't have to know that it's another broken promise.

    My heart goes out to you because I can see you reading about all those failed meetings that you never even knew were supposed to happen and feeling the pain. I'm glad you can still love your mom and know that she wasn't a bad person, just a person who made bad choices. I'm also glad that you are who you are... an intelligent, young woman who recognizes that her past has made her the special person she is. God bles you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my foster parent did the same thing you do as far as not telling us when our mom was supposed to come. And I completely agree with that practice!

      I think everyone, my mom especially, really did a good job of protecting me from knowing what was really going on with my mom and our case and what everything meant. I had no idea how bad things were until I got older and my mom decided I was old enough to know and I started just being able to understand what was going on.

      But yes, not knowing that stuff and then reading it 5 years after my mom died was really hard and confusing.

      Thanks for keeping on reading my blog, Linda and commenting! I love hearing from you.

      Delete