Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Untitled


I wrote this tonight. Without any plans of anyone seeing it. I was over flooded with emotions tonight when my professor posted the ingredients used to make meth (more in the blog). I think you'll see in this post the roller coaster of emotions I went through while I was processing this in my mind which is pretty typical when I'm grieving my mother and thinking about what her addiction meant to me. This post is really long and all over the place because I came home bawling from class and just started writing. This is what I got. 

Most everyone knows I grew up with my mom who had an addiction to Meth and eventually died from her addiction. Over the past two years, meth addiction has come up in one or another class. I've always known my mom's addiction affected me, especially her death. But as I get older and am learning more about what it means to be a meth addict, the more I learn about my mom. 

I thought this would be a good thing. I thought the more I learn about her, the closer I'll feel to her. You don't have to have a mom with a meth addiction to know how toxic and dangerous the drug is. I've known this ever since I knew it was her drug of choice. What I didn't know was that knowing more about it would make me feel further and further away from her. 

My mom loved me but I never was her first priority. When I was younger, I'd tell myself no matter what, no matter how hard into the drugs she was, no matter how fucked up she was, I was always her first priority. I used to think I was enough to make her want to quit, to give her a motivation to live a good, healthy, sober life. Every time she'd relapse I'd forgive her because I would just tell this to myself over and over and over again until I finally believed it. When you have a mom who is addicted to meth, you hold onto every single phone call you get, every word of affirmation you get that tells you you're loved because they don't happen nearly as often as they should. 

I was naive then. Thinking I could make her better. I know now meth was always her first priority. No matter how bad she wanted to stop, no matter how much she loved me, no matter how guilty she felt, no matter the consequences.. Meth always won. Meth was always on her mind. Her goal in life was to get high. She couldn't show me love without being high. She had to be high to enjoy her life, to feel normal, to function. She had to be high to be a mom. She was the worst mom when she wasn't high, coming down and withdrawing. These are the times when I saw her trying to hurt herself, sleeping all day, not eating, not feeding me and my brother. 

To come to the realization, my mom was only a mom on meth is almost too much to bare. I can't help but ask, why couldn't I have a mom who could just love me and be a mom who was always present. My mom probably doesn't remember half the time she spent with me because she was high. Why couldn't I have a mom whose number one priority was me? Is that too much to ask?

Today in my substance abuse class, my professor put a list up on the board. It read things like gasoline, paint thinner, battery acid, drainer cleaner, acetone, etc -- what was staring me right in my face, pure as day was all the chemicals my mom gave me up for, gave her family up for and ultimately lost her life to. I came second to these poisons.  I ..came second.. to these.. poisons. How in the hell do I wrap my mind around that? How can I possibly accept that?

If it weren't for drugs, I'd have a normal childhood. I wouldn't have been put in foster-care three separate times. I wouldn't be a child abuse survivor. I wouldn't have been separated from my brother. I wouldn't have a broken family. I would have a "normal" childhood to talk about.

I know my mom loves me and I know she tried to quit. If it was up to her, she would have been able to at a drop of a hat. Gaining this information about meth has given me a new perspective on my mom and it hasn't made me love her less or hate her for being addicted, it has made me hate the drug with even more of a passion than I had before. If anyone asks me, to do this day, I will tell you I had the best mom in the world. 

My mom did drugs, she went to prison and she was put on the child abuse registry. But if it wasn't for every single one of her mistakes, I would not be the same person I am today.

I am 21-years-old and the only drug I've ever used is alcohol - never tried a cigarette, never smoked weed. You will never see me do these things or even contemplate trying even if it is "just to experiment because that's what everyone in college does." 

I am strong in who I am and in my past. My mom taught me how to continue to fight to get what I want. She taught me how to take every negative situation or experience and learn something from it. You can ask me about the time my mom was shot, being in foster, being abused, being poor and I can tell you exactly what I've learned from it. And as I get older and look back, I continue to learn more from each experience I had. 

While my mom lived through hell and back, the most important thing she gave me was my passion. I have a desire, a craving inside of me to help people. Help people in anyway I can. My mom had a lot of characteristics many people would consider "bad." Not only was she addicted to meth and founded to be a child abuser on cases of neglect, she suffered from mental illnesses including addiction, depression and personality disorder. Being raised by my mother taught me no matter how many negative aspects there are to a person - that person deserves love, opportunities to better themselves and not to just be tolerated - but to be understood and truly cared for. 

Working with the population that my mom fits into is no easy task. They relapse and fuck up and then do it all over again no matter their consequences. But they are still humans capable of giving so much love. For those who knew my mom, the first thing they'd tell you about her is she has a heart of pure gold and would do anything for anybody. She loved helping people and didn't for a second think about what was in it for her. 

I don't judge people with mental illnesses, drug addictions, felony records, moms who have their kids taken away or anything related because even though my mom was fucked up most the time - I knew her. I knew the person she was and the intentions in her heart despite all the trouble she always seemed to be in. I never gave up on my mom. Until the day she died, I rooted for her, never losing my faith in her. 

My mom lost her battle. She left two kids and a lot of family behind. If it weren't for the struggles my mom went through and the obstacles I faced being raised by a drug addict, I wouldn't have the same passion I do now. My mom showed me God's light shines inside of everybody. My goal is to help that light shine so bright the darkness inside of them becomes a part of their past, a learning experience and something they can control. I want to do everything I can so that young girls like me don't have to grow up trying to accept the fact that they come second to meth or any other drug. 

21 comments:

  1. Your goal at the end gave me the chills. An amazing story that shows an amazing side to an amazing person. You should be extremely proud, as I'm sure your mom is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow alisha, I am so very proud of you for all that you have accomplished thus far and what is to come in the future! Beautifully written and you truely have choosen the PERFECT line of work for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Alisha this is insaine!! What you have been thru is crazy and u need to know from how u talk about ur mom we can all tell she loved u.. And its probably not thay she loved drug more than u its probably more sp the fact that some ppl ar just in enough mental pain and anguish from their past and life in general that the only way to shut it off and make it better is to do drugs... It sounds like with all the personality stuff she had gping on,thatmay b the case? That was an azing story girl! your really strong ssweetie!! Good luck with everything! it sounds like u will succeed in what u do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alisha,I had no idea you had such a painful childhood. I only know you as a sweet smart young lady that I had the privilege of getting to know during your time at U of I. You have a wonderful outlook on life. Keep looking ahead to a bright future for I am sure it is out there for you. I know this was difficult to share with us and I am so very proud of the person you have become compared to the person you could have been. I KNOW you will be ok and that your mom loved you and I am sure she is looking out for you now in a way she could not when she was here on earth because of her addiction. Best to you always! GOD BLESS..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I knew who you are since you've known me at the University so I could thank you properly! But it really does mean so much to me! Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Alisa, Thank you for sharing. You are an amazing woman with a positive view on life both past and future. I've always been grateful that I got to know you and your brother. My prayers have always been with you. I felt for your mother when she was going through her troubles and at the time I prayed for her.

    This blog has brought back memories and tears to my eyes. You are truly amazing. May God always bless you and those you will touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Thank you so much for everything you did for my brother, me and my mom. I can't express how much I appreciate you!

      Delete
  6. This is an amazing and inspiring story. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ... A woman who I trust, admire and respect laid this out with the words, "must read to the end." I am grateful she found it, then passed it on. I'm grateful that you have the courage to share and persevere. Your brutal honesty touches me in ways that I'm not even comfortable with, because I can empathize and relate on too many levels. Of all of the many things that stand out from your honesty is this ... Regardless of the pain, hurt, neglect, evil, disrespect (to name a few) that you experience(d) you have made the conscious choice to not only NOT be a victim - you've made the brave stand to advocate, empathize and educate, using your personal experiences to make a positive change. God bless you for the choices you've made with the hand you were dealt. I hope you're aware of your courage and beauty ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea who you are but your comment speaks volume to me. I am so honored that people are sharing my story and are relating to it. Thank you for reading it and letting me know how you felt about it. It helps give me strength to continue sharing!

      Delete
  8. Alisha,
    Thank you sharing, from your heart, your feelings and what you have learned in your 21 years of life of living with the many problems of drug addictions. Only those who have experienced such a 'loss of mother's love and family' can truly feel your pain, but what you have learned has given you so, so much character and made you very strong, determined,compassionate and wanting to help others facing the loneliness and fear that you so well know. You do your mother great honor by posting this and helping others so that her life will not have been in vain. I'm sure she is very proud of you and loves you so very much 'in her own way'.
    I am very proud of you as we ALL are Alisha.
    God Bless you Always.
    He loves you ... Trust in God.
    With love and admiration
    Helen Wauters Pille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I can't believe the way this blog has helped me connect with family who I haven't seen in years or didn't even know at all. I don't know a lot of the family on my mom's side but to hear from you and David means the world to me. Thank you!!

      Delete
  9. Your story is SIMPLY Amazing. I dont know you but I knew your mom and she did have a heart of gold. Im also a Meth addict but I will have 2 years clean on Valentine's Day. I now help families who have lost their children to DHS or just have DHS involvement on how to navigate their way through the system to safe case Closure. I know its hard but Im so glad and happy to hear that you still loved your mom no matter what. At least I think I might be able to think my children would like to think of me this way someday. Thanks for sharing your story what it was like to have a parent as a meth addict it kinda sheds some light from the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on hitting your two year mark, just about it! I know that isn't an easy thing to do. I love that your helping people now. Would that happen to be through the Parent Partner program? And I'm sure your kids will feel about you the way I feel about my mom. Keep up your sobriety! That is something to be so amazingly proud of.

      Delete
  10. Your a wonderment to all of us. I knew your mom too and I know what you've been through. I know what your mom went through... Keep your direction going the way you are... You have alot to be proud about....God Bless...Brian K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an absolutely amazing girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alisha, you are truely an amazing young woman. I know that your light will shine brightly to those who need an advocate. God bless you and all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for that story it has helped me think alot , I have a somekind of situation like you with my mother she is still with me but we aren't close like we use to be.I'm still a little lost, I don't know how I can handle her wen I now have a husband and two kids. Its hard wen we struggle with our money situation and still have to handle with her withdraws. But your story made me think what would happen if she wasn't around. Thank you for sharing your story. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear the way my story has helped you. I never knew what it was like having my mother around when I had my own family to take care of on top of everything. I can't imagine what that must be like trying to take care of your mom and your family. Keep your strength up.

      Delete
  14. You spoke to my heart in every single way.. It's like you and I think and feel the exact same things... The way my mom and dad both were/are this way.. My mom also lost her fight and died when I was 8, but father.. he's still a mess, and soon I'm afraid will lose his life as well. I envy you for writing this! Today I am a drug counselor and have been helping people for the past seven years. Also use your true compassion, thoughts, and life to help others. You will be amazed the satisfations, happiness, and understanding to your heart. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete